TRY A SKELETON MEDITATION.
“Meditating on the skeleton is done in a few meditation traditions as a form of embracing death and impermanence,” says HeadStrong creator Michael Gervais. In his Me and My Skeleton HeadStrong meditation on EQX+, he guides you through a skeleton meditation to both feel grounded and to get an appreciation for this structure that literally lifts us up. “Halloween is a great time to check in with what we might normally get creeped out by,” Gervais says. “See if you can observe your own reactions as we explore this (mostly) hidden architecture of our bones.”
- Sit comfortably and visualize your body in space.
- Feel the wide bone of the pelvis supporting you; the spine allowing you to sit tall; the arms and legs; and the skull sitting on top of the spine.
- Now, visualize everything besides that skeleton being stripped away and dissolving: The skin, the muscles, the organs, the tissues, the veins, and the blood running through them all dissolves away so what remains is your bones.
- Visualizing yourself as a skeleton, take smooth, slow breaths and begin to draw your focus to each bone, relaxing the area that it supports.
- Take a few minutes to feel the strength of your skeletal system and appreciate its complexity and all that it allows for.
- Rejoin the living by visually rewrapping your skeleton in its tissues, veins, blood, muscles, skin, and clothing.
- When you feel ready, blink the eyes open.